Shrimp Fried Poha is a delicious Indian breakfast recipe which is made of cooked beaten rice and freshly brought baby shrimps with all the aromatic Indian spices. Poha/pauwa/pohe is a very famous Indian dish which originated from western India or Maharashtra side. Poha is also called beaten rice or flattened rice. Today I am going to share a shrimp fried poha recipe cooked with shrimps. But you can just make it absolutely veggie using nuts, chickpeas, carrot and more veggies.
I love non veg and as I am not a veggie fan so I added shrimps. And they have added some awesome flavor and taste to this poha making it different from typical veggie poha.
So last Sunday when my mum and I was debating about the menu of breakfast, suddenly the idea came to my mind. And luckily we can get curry leaves anytime at our have as we have a tree of it in the backyard of our home. My mum was wanting to eat something simple and I was so against of eating normal daily breakfast thing. She asked me to make poha or upma if I would not like the idea of bread and omelette. But I was not liking to eat the same poha. So, I checked my freezer and found baby shrimps which we bought yesterday. Then, I told her to wait and I brought my curry leaves. The shrimps were already clean as my mum always wash, clean and cut non veg items properly after bringing from the market and before transferring them to a freezer.
When you buy beaten rice, always try to choose the flatten one and clean one. Mostly time store brought beaten rice is not clean and you need to work hard after that while cooking. Anyways I cleaned my beaten rice properly washing them again and again under running water and soak them in a little water for some time so that they can get soft. I cooked them using all our favorite Indian spices and as expected the poha was too good. And since then shrimp fried poha has taken a permanent place at our breakfast table once in every week. And trust me the recipe of shrimp fried poha is pretty easy and quick to cook. So, if you want to eat a nice little different but easy breakfast in your next morning then think about it 😀
Guys try out the recipe and let me know if you will like it. Your comments will always encourage me.
- 1 bowl beaten rice
- 1 small bowl fresh shrimps, washed and peeled
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp cumin powder or paste
- 5-6 green chilies, finely chopped
- 8-10 curry leaves, washed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt according to taste
- ½ tsp sugar (optional)
- ½-1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- oil to cook
- Wash shrimps very well and marinate them with ½ tsp turmeric powder and salt for 5 minutes.
- Wash beaten rice under running water very properly and sock in small cup water.
- Take a deep pan and heat oil. Fry the shrimps and keep them aside. Do not over fry them.
- Heat fresh oil again. When oil is hot keep it in low flame. Add mustard seeds into it.
- After 30 secs add cumin seeds. After another 30 secs add chopped green chilies, curry leaves.
- Saute them for 2 minutes. Now add chopped onion and garlic and fry till they become golden.
- You can keep medium flame now. Add ginger, cumin paste or powder, sugar, half cup water.
- Mix them well and add shrimps. Cook them till spices starts leaving water and aroma.
- Now add soaked beaten rice, salt, turmeric powder and lemon juice.
- Mix them very well and keep stirring and cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Your shrimp fried poha is ready. Serve it hot.