This is my all time favorite delicious Indian Dahi vada recipe. I have learned the recipe from my mom and she is perfect in cooking it. This Dahi vada is nicely spiced, served with spicy and sour chutneys. And the vadas are so soft and moist that those get melt in my mouth almost.
I often have this Dahi vada at my breakfast.It keeps me full for so many hours and being so healthy and fresh it does not compromise with the taste too.It’s very famous in India in every state.We love having it often as snack or breakfast.
I used to think before that making breakfast is a very big deal.But nowadays I am making all quick and easy recipes that I am loving the idea of making breakfast. And it’s great to try my mom’s never failed recipes.
Just take the incident about yesterday. I was craving so much to eat something chatpata Indian dish which will be sweet, sour and spicy everything at the same time. So, I bought urad daal from the market and soaked that overnight. And today was the day! When I woke up, urad daal was perfectly soaked. I took my blender out and made a smooth thick paste of it with the other ingredients and fried in refined oil.I used tissue papers to remove the extra oil.Generally people use the fried vadas directly in yogurt.But don’t do that.The vadas feel hard then.So don’t forget to soak them in warm salt water for little.And use fresh homemade yogurt.It will be the best if you use fresh ingredients. 🙂
I love Dahi vada with my special tamarind and green chutney. I did not have time today to make those today. Next time I will share the recipes of my special chutneys with you too. So, today I have used sweet and sour tomato ketchup. It tastes brilliant too with the Dahi vada. And yes the roasted bhaja masala.This is nothing but the powder of roasted cumin and red chili.It has awesome aroma and taste and goes too well with Dahi vada.
So try my recipe and let me know via your comments if you like it.Your comments are valuable for me.
- 1 cup urad daal
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida or hing
- 4-5 cashew nuts (optional)
- water as required to make the batter
- 1 bowl fresh yogurt
- 1 tsp roasted masala powder (roasted cumin and roasted dry red chili powder)
- tamarind chutney(optional)
- green chutney(optional)
- hot and sweet tomato ketchup(optional)
- any bhajia to garnish(optional)
- coriander leaves to garnish(optional)
- Soak the Urad daal overnight or for a minimum of 6 hours.
- Take a blender and add urad daal, ginger, chilies, cumin seeds and half cup water.
- Make a smooth, thick batter of it. Mix cashews in it if you want. Now take a deep fry pan.Heat oil.
- Take a spoon and with the help of it leave vada shaped batter in oil and fry the vadas.
- Keep ready a pot with salt water. Soak the vadas in it while hot for 3-4 minutes.
- Keep the soft and soaked vadas aside.
- Now take the yogurt and mix half cup water and beat it very well and make a smooth texture.
- Add the vadas in it and keep in the freezer. Serve it chilled.
- Before serving add chaat, roasted bhaja masala, any chutney or ketchup in it according to taste.
- You may garnish the vadas with fresh coriander leaves too.