Most of Bengali peoples surely eat meat in Sunday lunch at home specially mutton or chicken. But any day mutton is way more tastier and mouthwatering. Though doctors say that red meat is not good for health but once or twice in a month is ok right 😀 ? Eat everything but in a balanced way and always keep the amount balanced too. And trust me the Bengali version of mutton curry is just splendid. We call it ‘ kasha mangsho’ or ‘mutton kasha’ .Here I will name it as Bengali mutton curry so that non Bengali people can understand it too.
You know what?though I have tasted so many recipes of chicken and mutton,I always crave for my homemade Bengali mutton curry. Nothing can beat it. It is rich and delicious. I love half dried curry in it. So, this Sunday I have made it. As I knew that lunch would be heavy so I did very lite breakfast. That’s why I was pretty hungry when I went to kitchen to cook.Trust me when I just started cooking,and the aroma of spices started coming out,I was feeling to eat the raw meat pieces from pan right there haha 😀 But anyway I controlled my appetite and finished my cooking. And this recipe never fails me. So, my perfect Bengali mutton curry was ready in no time.
There is one more speciality in Bengali meat cooking. We really prefer to use big boiled potatoes in meat curry as we feel potatoes taste awesome when cooked in meat curry. So, I have used it here. If you don’t like it just avoid it. And those who do not eat red meat,you can cook chicken curry same way. And it’s my guarantee that you will be fan of it. Coming back to my cooking,well when the dish was ready I was not so patient to take good pictures and to arrange the background 😀 so Don’t mind if you will think it’s not that good. But, I hope that when you will cook,you will forget this thing and will thank me.
While choosing the lamb/sheep meat or mutton choose tender meat. Don’t choose a very big lamb or a very small lamb.It tastes best when it is of medium age and has little fat over it.
- 250 kg mutton
- 4 medium sized potatoes,peeled and cut in half
- 2 big onion,finely chopped
- 7-8 garlic cloves,very finely chopped
- 1 big tomato,finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili paste or powder
- 2 tsp cumin paste or powder
- 1 tsp coriander paste or powder
- 2 tsp red chili paste or powder
- 2 tsp garam masala paste or powder
- salt according to taste
- mustard oil to cook
- Marinate the mutton pieces with salt and turmeric powder and keep aside.
- Marinate the potato pieces with salt and turmeric powder.
- Take a deep pan and heat oil into it.Now fry the marinated potatoes from all sides a bit.
- Keep the fried potatoes aside.Now take more oil and heat it.
- When the oil will be heated properly add garlic and onion into it.Fry till they become golden.
- Now add chopped tomato.Saute for 2-3 minutes.Add marinated mutton pieces.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes and fry from all sides.Now add ginger,red chili,cumin,coriander into it.
- Add half cup water and mix them properly.Keep medium flame and stir occasionally.
- after 5 mints keep low flame.Stir.Let the spices and meat start releasing water and smell.
- Add little water if gets much dry.Add the potatoes and cook like that for 15 minutes.
- Now take pressure cooker and add mutton,potatoes and 2 cup water into it.
- Add salt if needed.Let the cooker whistle 2 times.Now let it cool naturally.Don't open the lid.
- When it will be cool,switch on the burner.Semi dry the curry water and add garam masala.
- You can add ghee too for the extra aroma.Garnish it with coriander leaves.Serve it hot with rice.
If you will like my recipe,leave your comment.Your comment is valuable for me.